Chicago violence | 30 shot, 3 fatally, over weekend – CPD says including 2 Chicago police officers who were shot Saturday night on the city’s South Side;
The men were outside just after 7 pm in the 200-block of South Maplewood Street when a vehicle approached and someone inside began firing shots, Chicago police said.
- Chicago police said the shooting occurred about 9:10 p.m. in the 6300-block of South Bell Avenue, and it left the officers in serious-to-critical condition.
- They were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where a crowd of officers gathered after 10 p.m. Some officers could be seen hugging each other; others appeared emotional.
- A man and woman, 38 and 27, were walking outside around 3:40 a.m. in the 11500-block of South Eggleston Avenue when they heard multiple shots and attempted to seek cover, Chicago Police said.
- Both victims were shot once in the buttocks and were taken to Roseland Hospital where their conditions were stabilized, police said.
- This was the third shooting involving two or more victims on the Far South Side in about three hours, according to police data.