Biden and Scott Morrison were holding a press conference with Boris Johnson to announce a new defense pact.
- Biden appeared to forget the name of Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Wednesday night while unveiling a key nuclear submarine pact — calling him “pal” and “that fella Down Under.”
- Some Aussies who are not fans of their prime minister, however, seemed to revel in the apparent slip-up, saying it made their day.
- “Cut him some slack. Many of us Aussies want to forget our PM’s name,” someone named Paul W tweeted, while a Twitter user named Sandra quipped, “I have to say it’s the nicest thing he’s been called in a long time.”
- “Just a public speaking tip – if you’re going to mention someone by name WRITE IT DOWN,” someone named Meegan also tweeted Biden.
- “HOW DID YOU NOT REMEMBER THE PRIME MINISTERS NAME. ‘That fella down under…thank you pal’ was honestly so embarrassing.”
- “I don’t understand how Americans vote for him,” an Australian named Adam tweeted, noting how Biden always seems “very forgetful.”